Haiti, a beautiful and mountainous land located in the Caribbean Ocean, is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. In spite of its pressing economic poverty and the recent devastating earthquake of 2010–the people of Haiti are courageous and resilient. However, these recent events and destruction of national infrastructure in Haiti have left many children abandoned or orphaned.
BAAS International, while not having a direct program in Haiti, is privileged to be working with reputable partner agencies that can serve as a primary provider to find permanent, loving homes for Haitian children in need of permanent homes.
WHO ARE THE CHILDREN IN NEED OF FAMILIES?
Children who become available for adoption must be legally abandoned, orphaned or relinquished according to the strict guidelines of IBESR, Haiti's central authority. IBESR will also approve each family application for placement consideration. Children must meet the following requisites:
- Children in need of homes have been orphaned or abandoned
- Frequently, there will be little medical background or family history available
- Children and sibling groups of all ages are in need of homes
- BAAS works with reputable liaison agencies who have been officially recognized by IBESR to assist with the legalization and referral process in Haiti
- Must live within the BAAS licensing area of northern California. Please read additional Legal Requirements.
- Married couples and single women can apply
- Married couples must be married for 5 years
- Singles must be at least 35 years
- One spouse should be 30 years old at time of application, if married
- No applicant over 50 years old
- Both parents must travel on first trip
- The wait for a referral typically 7-12 months after dossier arrives to IBESR
- Wait is longer for adopting younger children under 2 years
- Referral to finalization waiting time is unpredictable but estimated at 7-12 months
- 2 trips are necessary and both parents must travel on the first trip
- Stay on first trip is 14 days
- One parent may return on the 2nd trip