Bulgaria is a Balkan nation with diverse terrain bordering the Black Sea coastline and offering a beautiful mountainous interior. Bulgaria is a virtual melting pot with Greek, Slavic, Ottoman and Persian influences and a true crossroads between East and West.
WHO ARE THE CHILDREN IN NEED OF FAMILIES?
Poverty is the major reason for child abandonment in Bulgaria and many of Bulgaria's uneducated poor have little access to social services or medical care. Children in need of permanent families are of Romani descent and face widespread discrimination within Bulgaria. Because of this, it is unlikely that many of these children will be adopted domestically. The following types of children may become available for adoption, once approved by the Bulgaria government for placement, and in accordance with the strict guidelines of the Hague Convention:
- Children ages 12 months and above
- Sibling groups are available
- While children as young as 12 months may become eligible for adoption, the vast majority of adoptable children are between the ages of 3 years and 8 years old
- Many of the children are of Romani descent and may have minor special needs
- Both boys and girls need loving homes
- Must live within the BAAS licensing area of northern California. Please read additional Legal Requirements.
- Married couples and singles can apply.
- Married couples must be married for 1 year.
- Both parents must travel to Bulgaria for the first trip, if married.
- Wait for a referral is dynamic and varies
- Families wishing to adopt a younger child will wait-36 months for referral
- Wait from referral to finalization is unpredictable but estimated at 7-12 months
- 2 trips are necessary and one parent must travel on the first trip
- Stay in country on first trip is 7 days
- The second trip is scheduled 3-4 months later
- One parent must return on the 2nd trip, staying in country for 7 days in order to obtain their child’s visa at the US Embassy and escort their child home